Two years ago I purchased a Chinese embroidery book, by Josiane Bertin-Guest (actually it screamed from the shelf and wouldn’t let me out of the shop until it was mine). The only time I have used it was to embroider my Koi for Tast. When Sharon announced this week was for Pekinese stitch I jumped at the chance to settle and do a scene. I know it wasn’t seeing what I could do with the stitch, but trying to work it neatly is a big thing for me. The book has no hints, only a small picture and a line drawing with suggested colours.
I used DMC threads, between 1 and 4 strands. No way was I heading off to purchase the proper silk which is split into many strands for embroidery. The book states there can be 46 strands. Whew!
The instruction is to…tie the silk thread to the eye of a needle and pin to a piece of velvet as the nap of this will hold the separated filaments. Then with the tip of a tapestry needle, pull the threads apart breaking the excess filaments and leaving the required fine floss for embroidery. It looks so extremely fragile and I know I will never have the patience for perfection, so it’s just as well I am happy with my result.
It was very relaxing working the scene as I was not distracted by leaping off to another section to lay work there. When filling in, this stitch requires one row at a time be finished, before another colour be started. You can’t just lay down all the back stitching. I think it took me about 8 hours to complete.
I loved the stitch Sharon and I hope others had as much pleasure as I did doing it.