My September calendar is a day late. Better late than never I suppose. I have had only a few projects completed lately and hope to soon blog some of them. For my friends who are kind and visit here, thank you. I’m sorry to be so slow.
My DiL has been gathering odds and ends from Opportunity(thrift) shops for several months, as she had decided to wool-bomb a dead tree on the property. It is a very large tree. Raelene spent no more than $1 on any item, several items came in bundles.
Balls of wool would have been either knitted up or crocheted for the project. Isn’t this fabulous? I believe it thought to be completed now …with a proviso that if something turns up, that idea could change. Please click on the tree for enlargement… it’s worth it. and the best thing on my blog for ages.
Time for a calendar page change. Another not-so-good photo. I remember hearing a saying ‘It’s a poor workman who blames his tools’ It applies to me for sure. This block was created in July of 2014 in Kathy Shaw’s challenge of Crazy Quilting Journal Project.
Currently Kathy is running several free classes for making and creating a CQ block. The first class is for beginners which must be done if one wishes to continue through to the Intermediate classes.
I found the basic to be fun, easy and I learned a trick or two as well, even though I’ve CQ’d for years. You can read about the classes here
I can’t manage photo inserts in WordPress as they refuse to go..and stay.. where they are meant…so here is the rest of the round robin square for Patti.
The top corner (2 triangular sections) were stitched by Alison. A lovely paisley and a tatted motif both covered with silk ribbon flowers, with hand dyed lace and a pretty floral seam between.
I added a flower vine and the seam below Jean’s berries, keeping the thread colour to match her Feather stitching.
The photo on the right..well it was on the right but now below…was inspired by an embroidery I began when I was 16 and has remained a UFO ever since. 60 years later I copied the statue but made modern flowers. Those on the original Semco pattern were created with Straight and Detached Chain. I’m determined to finish that doiley now.
The work has returned to Patti, to finish with her own embroidery on the space left.
It has been enjoyable, as usual, working with others and learning from them too.
This last block I have worked on is the last in this Round Robin. Four of us have completed our work and the last section is to be finished by the owner, Patti. This section was done by Dianne. Again I apologize for my poor camera work. I love the butterfly- the colour is teal not blue and a design I’ve not seen before. The seams around the butterfly were also Dianne’s work as well as the beautiful rose and shrub and heart charm. Dianne was nervous being a first-timer in our round robin but I’m sure you will agree she has no problem with her work. I’ve enjoyed seeing all her work and hope she will join more RRs. Jean added the flower vine – love her bow of DMC threads- and Beaded Chain stitch seam. Her bead- berries vine is also lovely. Jean was also a first timer to RRs but not embroidery.
Where has the year disappeared to? Already June and not much to show for it.
Here’s my June calendar from last year’s Crazy Quilting Journal Project, ready to hang on the wall.
Though on this first day of spring the sun is shining and the sky is blue,it’s jolly nippy this morning.
Another month quickly passed and not much work to show for it.
Here is my CQJP block from last year, converted to the calendar. So far I’ve seen a block daily, where had I made a small quilt of the blocks, they would have been out of sight. At the year’s end I’ll have to think again what to do with the pages.
I’ve completed my work on Alison’s block. The first photo shows the section of butterflies – double Detached chains and Bullions and stems of Coral Knots and Detached chains. At the base I added Straight and Fly stitches with tiny French Knots in 2mm silk ribbon.
Threads used were DMC rayons, and Cottage Garden threads-‘Dandelion’ The ribbon happened to be the same tones as the CGT.
The last photo shows a seam of DMC Chain stitches with Detached chain flowers. These are alternated with threads of CGT ‘pimpernel’ (not that it’s easy to see) and 2 Rajmahal varities.
To the right I added 2 flower motifs and silk ribbon leaves.
And here to date, is the full block with a garden theme.
The colours are so vibrant and it’s a shame I can’t show the block at it’s best. Please click on the picture as it does improve the colours.
I added a few more flower motifs to the bottom right corner to fill the space.
One more person to work on the block then it returns to Alison who will add some herself.
Apart from cropping DH’s fruit trees, they are a blessing in that they eat the grass and save lots of mowing time.
We throw bread to them and while semi tame, I have never seen a big one stand upright, balancing on his tail, so close to me. He appears to be some distance from me but it was only 4 feet back. I was on the verandah taking the shot and so I estimate he was 6 feet high.
I don’t wholly trust them; they can balance on their strong tail and can use their long sharp-nailed feet to kick out if frightened -which can be dangerous.
During school holidays or over summer they retreat to their own area as they prefer the quiet to a busy township.
- Around Home
- Chain of Hearts
- Christmas Ornaments
- CQ Journal Project
- CQ Journal Project 2014
- crazy quilting
- Fibre Fever
- Hearts for COH Swap
- My dolls
- Pincushions and hearts
- ribbon embroidery
- SAL-Stitch A-Long
- Sharon Boggon's stitches by number
- Stitch Exploration
- Take it Further Design Challenge
- TAST 1
- TAST 2014
- The Stitch Files
- Welcome to the Blog
- WIP -Work in Progress Wednesdays